Thursday, July 9, 2009

Maybe I can actually swim?



For the last few months my swim (or lack there of) has been pretty consistent. Consistently bad. Not that I haven’t been swimming, but I really haven’t been swimming with any purpose and likely because of that, I haven’t gotten anywhere. After yet another crappy a swim a few weeks ago I asked Graeme when I just give up. I am and have always been comfortable in the water, did all my Red Cross levels and even taught kids to swim in high school, but I have never swam laps. Handstands, flips, pretending to synchronized swim, that’s how I spent my time in the water. And anytime there was a pool or water around, I was in it. I was always wrinkly on vacations.
So for the last while, I have been trying to learn or relearn to swim. And I am sure I have not gone about it very well! No plan, no planned workouts, just getting in the pool and doing what I could.
It hasn't worked well so that is stopping.

I asked Graeme if he would help me. He said yes, but that it would be hard. I asked him if I would cry. He said maybe.

So the plan is for more sessions with the swim coach. I did a few earlier this year and they really helped and then to do whatever workout Graeme tells me. I’m about 2 weeks in and I already feel like there has been a huge difference. I did my longest swim ever on Sunday. 2475m or 2700yds. Yes, I know, short for most people, but it’s a really good step in the right direction for me. Every workout so far I have thought I wouldn’t be able to do, but I actually haven’t had any difficulty in doing them. Yes, they are slow meters, but I’m swimming!

My confidence is building as well, which I think is huge. When I get in the water now, I try my best not to think negative thoughts. Its a lot easier to do swimming on a sunny day at Kits Pool, but I'm hoping to transfer over those good feelings to the local pool too (though I'm not quite there yet). I keep telling myself I can do this. I have to believe I can and I will keep working at it until that is true. At least as long as Graeme will make workouts for me. And its not that I can't make them myself, but when we makes them for me, I feel like I have to get through it or I'll let him down. When really, he doesn't care. Well that's not really true of course. He wants me to succeed and he's knows I want to get better so he does care. But its not going to change how he feels about me if I can swim or not.

2 comments:

Julie said...

You CAN swim and you are proving it every time you crawl over those feelings of inadequacy and fear. The biggest obstacles we face are ourselves and I am so proud of you for facing your swimming demons head on!!!

YOU ROCK!!!!! :) :) :)

jen said...

Great job on the long swim and pushing yourself in the pool. I know what you mean about having G make your workouts for you. When I make them myself I tend to doubt myself and second-guess everything. I think you're really onto something.

Keep up the good work! :)