Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Masters Swim

So there are a lot of people who say you should do something that scares you once a day. Once a day may be a bit much for me, but I at least met that goal yesterday.

As I have documented, swimming is not my strong suit. I am comfortable in the water, but my stroke is awful. Over the last couple months I have had a lot of encouragement to join the Monday night masters group, which at this point has almost been completely taken over by our tri club. I have put it off for weeks between being sick and being nervous, but last week I said to Graeme if I was feeling better by this week I would go.

So I did. And it was hard. And I was the slowest person (in the slowest lane), but I survived.

I can tell that my fitness level is way higher than my swimming ability. I think at the end of the workout, Graeme was more tired then me. Granted he was swimming in a faster lane, but I just don't have the arm strength/technique to push harder then my fitness level at this point. Not that I wasn't tired!

The coach was nice and even though there were a lot of swimmers, he managed to give me a few tips. I think if I continue to go I will see some real improvement.

So yes, it was scary, but I am glad I went. Now to get up the courage to keep going!

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations on going to the swim class! I find joining a swim class pretty daunting. I still need to spend a lot of time focusing on my technique and after that I think speed will come. Great job on getting out there!

jen said...

Way to go!! The first time is always the worst and then it gets better.

I've always been the slowest person at Masters, both in California and now in Portland. One time a slower girl showed up and I was on top of the world. :P Most of these people have been swimming since they were in school and it's second nature. It's a tough skill to learn as an adult!

Keep up the good work.