Saturday, February 7, 2009

First real ride of the year

Saturday afternoon. Out to Horseshoe Bay and back. About 1:40 and 48km. Of course my bike computer stopped working a few minutes in, so I don't have exact numbers. But I know how long this ride is, as I've done it more then any other.

I haven't been outside on my bike in way too long to mention. My new pedals felt awesome and I really felt like I had more power transfer. I also felt like I had more power period. I didn't use all my gears until the hill back up to home, and all last year I would be using them all on the entire ride. It was only 7*C and I thought I would be freezing, but I ended up wearing the perfect amount of clothes - tights with shorts over, 2 long sleeve shirts and my cycling jacket, winter cycling gloves and toe warmers. I have enough hair that with the helmet I don't need an extra hat.

I have passed men going uphill before, but yesterday was better. Generally I can pass older men on hills, but I passed younger guys who looked like they were working. And I passed Graeme a number of times too which always feels good as he is a much stronger rider then me. The best part of the ride was passing a guy going downhill which I have never done before.

I forgot just how much fun riding outside was. It's only going to make the trainer harder until I get another opportunity to ride outside. But at the same time, I now know for sure that the trainer riding is making me stronger.

2 comments:

jen said...

Great ride! The trainer rides are definitely keeping you in amazing cycling shape if you're powering up the hills like that. I'm struggling to get a ride in today (trainer) but this is definitely motivating. Keep up the great work.

Beth said...

Thanks Jen! And yes, keep up the trainer riding. It really does make a difference.