Thursday, March 5, 2009

Feeling normal

There is nothing like being sick to make you appreciate how good "normal" feels. I have been back to normal for a few days now and I am so thankful. Thankful that the mystery sickness wasn't more serious and thankful that I am able to do what I love to do. I am a much nicer and happier person when I working out. Now, this doesn't mean I feel thrilled to do every workout. I am a regular person. I get tired, cranky and lazy just like the next person. But I know that I feel much better after I have worked out. And I know that I gain a sense of fulfillment from being able to push myself and work toward getting better at something. It is not easy for me. I am not a natural runner and didn't grow up swimming laps, but I crave the feeling of accomplishment and enjoy pushing myself toward a goal.

I did my first "workout" last Thursday. It was a 15 minute run that felt awful. I don't think I was really up to it quite yet. Friday I did 3 miles which still felt way too hard for how short and not fast it was. Saturday I ran 40 minutes and just over 4 miles. It was hard too, but I made it through it. Of course my left calf is still giving me some grief and I had to walk up some of the hill back home. Well that and my 2 week layoff has really made me feel out of shape. I have a point on the outside of my left calf that had a slight bruise even before I started self massage on it. That was a little scary, but I am pretty sure its nothing as it didn't get any worse.

Sunday started the real turn around. 30 min swim. I kept it short as it had been so long since I had been in the pool. But it felt really good. My body position somehow felt better. Monday was another 45 min swim which again felt good. I don't know why it happens but whenever I've had a layoff for whatever reason from the pool, the first few swims back always feel good. Of course the few swims after that I feel like I am flailing around.

Graeme told me many times when I was sick that I would come back even more motivated. He has had an ear surgery each of the last 3 years which have resulted in layoffs from all exercise from 2-6 weeks. He said each time he was able to come back, he just felt so much more desire and motivation to work as hard as he could. I doubted him, and it may be too early to tell, but I think he may be on to something.

The rest of the workouts so far this week have gone like this.

Tuesday - 90 min trainer
Wednesday - 40 min run (calf was sore, but I pushed through and it didn't get worse), 45 min swim
Thursday - 45 min trainer

And hopefully I'll keep on a roll. And stay healthy!

1 comment:

jen said...

So glad to hear you are back on the roads and in the pool. I know exactly what you mean about a lay-off making you truly appreciate the gift of exercise! I hope you stay healthy. I doubt you truly lost any fitness, you're probably just a little rusty. Keep up the good work!