Sunday, December 28, 2008

Boxing day and beyond

Well running hasn't been going very well. The melt has started but the nighttime temperatures are still dropping below freezing, meaning everywhere is a sheet of ice. I ran from work on Monday in the middle of a windstorm, following a sleet/freezing rain/snowstorm. The seawall was too icy and the crosswalks too flooded. I cut it short before 6k.

But, I have been swimming. Twice more in the pool and the 3rd time felt way better then the Christmas Eve swim. I am not going to make my previous goal of continuous distance by the end of this year, but I am definitely on my way to becoming a better swimmer.

I gave Graeme some stroke analysis/swim instruction as part of his Christmas present. If he finds it really useful, I may buy it for myself as well. In the meantime I think I am going to sign up or a "triathlon swimming" program at a pool nearby. It's a 4 lesson set focusing on stroke correction. I meet all the minimum requirements, so outside of stepping outside of my comfort zone, there is no reason not to. And stepping out of my comfort zone may be the most important part of signing up. Someone hold me to that...

No comments: